Sport Investors League
  • Politics
  • Stocks
  • Investing
  • Business

Sport Investors League

  • Politics
  • Stocks
  • Investing
  • Business
Business

Consumers are not lovin’ it: McDonald’s has its worst quarter since 2020

by admin May 2, 2025
May 2, 2025
Consumers are not lovin’ it: McDonald’s has its worst quarter since 2020

McDonald’s reported its worst quarterly sales for the United States since the height of the pandemic in 2020, the latest restaurant chain to be affected by America’s turbulent economic environment.

The burger giant reported U.S. same-store sales fell 3.6%, the largest three-month drop since Q2 2020, when they plunged 8.7%. Forecasts had been for a decline of just 1.7%.

‘Consumers today are grappling with uncertainty,’ McDonald’s Chairman and CEO Chris Kempczinski said in a statement, as the chain cited lower guest counts.

In a follow-up call with investors, McDonald’s executives said that traffic among middle-income diners fell by ‘nearly double digits’ alongside an ongoing drop-off among low-income ones. As an example, they said more people appear to be skipping breakfast entirely to cut back on spending, or eating breakfast at home.

‘People are just visiting less,’ they said.

High-income traffic, meanwhile, remained stable, they said.

That reflects the economy writ large: While less-well-off consumers rein in transactions to focus on essentials, wealthy consumers continue to spend freely.

McDonald’s is the latest restaurant chain to report weak financial results amid signs that consumers are pulling back on discretionary spending. Chipotle, Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Shake Shack and Starbucks all saw slowing or declining sales in their quarter, with many citing particular weakness among lower-income consumers.

McDonald’s also reported revenues that missed forecasts for the third time in four quarters.

The more volatile economic environment that’s been accelerated by President Donald Trump’s tariffs policies is also being felt abroad.

On the call, company officials said that while the McDonald’s brand hadn’t been affected by worsening perceptions of the U.S. by overseas consumers, its internal surveys had picked up a notable uptick in anti-American sentiment, particularly among diners in northern Europe and Canada.

‘We have seen … an increase in people in various markets saying they’re going to be cutting back on purchases of American brands,’ they said.

It nevertheless maintained its full-year financial outlook, including plans to open 2,200 locations, which it said should help boost sales growth by slightly more than 2%. It said a promotional tie-in with the ‘Minecraft Movie’ had been a hit, and that its refreshed value offerings continued to position it strongly compared with competitors.

Still, officials said on the call that they remained “cautious about consumer sentiment.”

Shares fell 1.6% in early trading.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Tesla denies report that the EV maker is looking to replace Elon Musk
next post
Trump Administration Strikes 50/50 Minerals Deal with Ukraine

Related Posts

Tariffs and weaker beer demand are weighing on...

July 4, 2025

Southern California Edison acknowledges videos suggest link between...

February 8, 2025

Capital One acknowledges ‘outage’ as users report issues...

January 17, 2025

Biden administration to lower costs for 64 drugs...

June 29, 2024

Mattel says Barbies and Hot Wheels could soon...

February 6, 2025

Trump Media sues Brazil Supreme Court judge who...

February 20, 2025

Collapse of fintech firm with 10M users leaves...

May 24, 2024

Bad economic news has been good for stocks,...

June 7, 2024

The trucking industry hits the brakes with tariffs...

April 24, 2025

T-Mobile to acquire most of U.S. Cellular in...

May 30, 2024

    Get free access to all of the retirement secrets and income strategies from our experts! or Join The Exclusive Subscription Today And Get the Premium Articles Acess for Free


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Recent

    • Rubio defends US operation in Venezuela, calls out reporter for trying to start a fight

      February 16, 2026
    • Waltz calls UN a ‘cesspool for antisemitism’ as Trump administration pushes major reforms

      February 16, 2026
    • Trump announces $5 billion pledge in Gaza aid from Board of Peace members

      February 16, 2026
    • The one sentence in Rubio’s Munich speech that revealed Trump’s red line for Europe

      February 16, 2026
    • Doctors Without Borders reduces operations at Gaza hospital over security concerns

      February 16, 2026

    Categories

    • Business (1,156)
    • Investing (4,072)
    • Politics (4,992)
    • Stocks (1,155)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: sportinvestorsleague.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 sportinvestorsleague.com | All Rights Reserved